Volunteer at Madison
Welcome to Madison’s 2022/2023 school year! We’re all excited to get back into the school again this year. This year we will be back in full swing with volunteer opportunities. The Volunteer areas where we need help throughout the year include field trips, evening events, Career Day, and some student-led day events like the Bulldog Bash, field day, and more. Notices will be sent out through Madison channels to recruit volunteers for events.
It is important for all previously registered SPS volunteers to update your profile every year, especially if you are changing or adding schools.
If you are a new volunteer, you will need to register in the SPS Volunteer Database and complete the Volunteer Applicant requirements.
Access and update your SPS Volunteer Profile or register as a new SPS Volunteer
Please read the application carefully and note these items in particular:
- Complete online training–Preventing Sexual Abuse of Children and Youth.
- Read and familiarize yourself with the SPS Volunteer Handbook.
- Please don’t forget to download your picture ID. This is essential for background checks.
- If you are an SPS employee and volunteering in your student’s school, you must complete the SPS online application process. You are considered a volunteer, not an employee (there are areas in the application to state your SPS employment, so background check is not required again).
Please note all volunteers must be cleared 2 weeks prior to the event. There will be no day of clearance, no exceptions.
Note: If you’re interested in volunteering for Sports activities, please contact Rachel Bascomb firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions you have about this process or volunteering at Madison.
Lora Bunch, Madison Volunteer Coordinator
How to Apply to Volunteer with Seattle Public Schools
Why Volunteer in Your Child’s School?
- Higher grades, test scores & graduation rates
- Better attendance
- Increased motivation & self-esteem
Checklist for New Volunteers
Visit our volunteer website to:
- Review volunteer handbook
- Complete online training
- Apply securely online
- Background check required
Questions? Contact your school office or visit Volunteer
Additional Steps for Certain Volunteer Roles
The following volunteer roles require a national background check, regardless of how long the volunteer has resided in Washington:
- Unsupervised volunteers who work with children regularly (including remote/virtual volunteers).
- Volunteers chaperoning overnight field trips longer than three days.
- Volunteers involved in any sports or gym activities coordinated by the school (for Athletics see *).
If situations 2 or 3 apply to you, visit the volunteer website to learn more.
* Important: Athletic coaches must apply via SPS Athletics Department.
All gym and sports volunteers must be current on CPR, First Aid, Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Concussion Courses.
Field trip volunteers supervise students. Once approved to volunteer, request additional forms from the field trip organizer to review and acknowledge your important responsibilities.
Keeping Students Safe
Child Abuse Prevention
Nationally, one in four girls and one in six boys are sexually abused before age 18. Volunteers help to protect children by learning to recognize and report potential abuse.
At SPS, each volunteer completes an online Sexual Misconduct Prevention training before start of their service.
Criminal Background Check
- If you have lived in Washington State for the past three (3) years, SPS will complete your state background check at no cost to you.
- If you came to Washington from another state in the past three years, you will need to purchase a one-time national background check.
New or newly returned to the U.S.?
Visit the SPS Volunteer page for more information.
Why is there a fee for out-of-state background checks?
Unlike our state, the federal government does not provide schools with free screening tools. SPS selected a vendor to offer secure, affordable background checks for the volunteers who need them ($21 in most cases).
Frequently Asked Questions
I completed an online application in 2021. Do I have to reapply this year?
Your online application is on file so please do not create a new application. On your second volunteer anniversary, you will receive an email with log-in instructions to renew your application.
Can I use my smart phone to apply?
Our online volunteer application is smart-phone friendly.
Thank you for helping create safe schools, and for your generous donation of time and talent!