Studies show that students participating in athletics have higher GPAs, better attendance, lower dropout rates, fewer disciplinary problems, higher graduation rates, and better success in college than nonparticipants. This is done by providing healthy, supervised after-school activities for students. Athletic participation teaches teamwork, goal setting, discipline, sportsmanship, leadership, and other valuable life skills, helping students become contributing members of their school and community as well as providing an important alternative to anti-social behaviors. Our department coordinates with our middle and high schools to run this valuable portion of a student’s extra-curricular life.
Our vision is excellence in academics and athletics by connecting kids to academics through an exceptional athletic program. To meet this vision our mission and goals are:
- Transform: Providing an exemplary athletic program with maximum student participation
- Enable: Utilizing the individual and group skills and knowledge of our athletic coaches, teaching staff, and community to encourage excellence both in the classroom and on the playing field.
- Operate: Coordination of operating an all-encompassing athletic program in both the middle school and high school levels.
- Productivity: Encourage academic and athletic excellence for all participating students
Madison middle school students can participate in several sports during the school year:
- Soccer (fall girls' sport, spring boys' sport)
- Ultimate Frisbee (fall co-ed sport)
- Basketball (winter boys' and girls' sport)
- Volleyball (spring girls' sport)
- Track (spring co-ed sport)
Girls' Head Coach Basketball
Boys' Head Coach Basketball
Boys' Assistant Coach Basketball
Girls' Head Coach Volleyball
Boys' Head Coach Soccer
Boys' Assistant Coach Soccer
Co-ed Head Coach Track
Co-ed Assistant Coach Track
Girls' Head Coach Soccer
Girls' Assistant Coach Soccer
Co-ed Head Coach Ultimate
Athletic Applications, Brochures & More Information
Seattle Public Schools Sports and Events Schedules can be found at the SPS website.
Registration packets for each sport are available in the main office prior to the start of tryouts for the season's sports, and they also can be downloaded and printed here. Please submit the following forms by dates indicated below. If forms are not turned in on time, students will NOT be allowed to try out and practice.
Season Start Dates
Approximate start dates for each sports season (subject to change):
Try-Outs (Week of): September 12, 2016
Season Starts (Week of): September 19, 2016
Try-Outs (Week of): December 5, 2016
Season Starts (Week of): January 3, 2017
Try-Outs (Week of): March 6, 2017
Season Starts (Week of): March 13, 2017
Please visit SPS Athletic Department home page for more information.